Historic houses and buildings

Many of Newburgh’s houses have an interesting history. Some details are recorded here and in some cases an old picture of a dwelling is included. Click thumbnails for bigger pictures

(Photographs and text reproduced from Newburgh Then and Now, by Shirley Clayton, Jackie Kindon and Ailsa Moore. Copyright Newburgh Parish Council)

Ash Brow

Higher Lane Cottage

Built on the site of the Ashbrow Independent Chapel which closed in 1841 The chapel now forms part of the house.

Boundary Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed 18th century farm and farm building with a 19th century house at the eastern boundary of Newburgh. The shippon has a date-stone of 1739.

Lathom House

A large stone house, built in 1780, originally called Lathom Close.

Ashbrow Cottage and Coachman’s Cottage

Ash Brow Cotttage was formerly a coach house. Attached to it is Coachman’s Cottage. The two houses were converted from a single cottage and outbuildings in 1963.

Peter Lathom was a wealthy 17th century inhabitant of Croston who used income from his land and property to provide assistance and education for the poor children of surrounding villages. His name is preserved in the above group of buildings with Ash Brow Cottage carrying the Lathom plaque